• deann-r

November 1, 2022 at 1:26 pm

Gah! Apparently that’s not a word but that’s how I’m feeling about Covid. This year I feel less prepared than I did at the beginning of the pandemic. At this point my otc medications I had stockpiled are expired. My nebulizer machine needs replacing. I haven’t even gotten my booster or flu shot yet. Not to mention I overheard my pca who gave me Covid in 2020 has picked up shifts at a house with possible Covid. Yay!

• alyssa-silva

November 3, 2022 at 11:46 am

I hear ya. I don’t understand how everything is out of stock these days. What is going on?!

• dennis-turner

November 1, 2022 at 4:51 pm

I have my flu and booster.

That said I wear my mask whenever I go out, even tho o ly myself and my wife are wearing them now.

I was told by a doctor friend at Boston Children’s hospital that they were really short of beds right now.

So I guess I am feeling cautious

• alyssa-silva

November 3, 2022 at 11:47 am

I have my booster but really need to get my flu shot ASAP. I have a feeling Boston Children’s is short on beds because of RSV. I had that a few years ago and it was not fun. I think I’m more worried about RSV than COVID right now.

• yvette-haas

November 1, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Really curious to know if anyone here, besides me, has not gotten any covid injections. I hope no one finds that to be controversial. It’s not. Everyone can make their own healthcare decisions.

• alyssa-silva

November 3, 2022 at 11:48 am

Not controversial at all! That’s a good question.

• anna

November 2, 2022 at 6:03 am

Nothing but frustration right now! I still wear my mask everywhere I go, I only meet people outdoors, I haven’t been to an indoor restaurant or a café in three years and I’m still hesitant to invite people over. The weather has been cooperative so far, but the temperature here will soon start to fall, and I just can’t imagine spending another winter in isolation! No doctor will ever give you a clear answer as to how big a risk you can afford to take – at least not my doctors (I knew my painstaking research for non-patronizing doctors would backfire someday 😛 ) – so I’m just stuck here wondering if vaccination will ever be enough to get me back to my pre-covid life. Not to mention that I feel I don’t have any immunity against any other virus given that I haven’t gotten sick in three years, so I’m thinking I might be more vulnerable now than I was before the pandemic…

• alyssa-silva

November 3, 2022 at 11:49 am

I’m in a similar boat, Anna. I’m also worried about my immune system since I haven’t been sick in 3 years either. It’s such a tough decision to make when it comes to our health on the line.

• micaela-macdougall

November 2, 2022 at 12:16 pm

This stage of the pandemic feels way more isolating than the beginning.  I’m grateful that my doctors haven’t gotten tired of me emailing them every month with a new question about the risk level of a specific scenario.  Like Anna said, they’ve been reluctant to give me definite answers about risk levels, but I finally got some clearer recommendations from them at my last appointment in September:

1. Make sure to stay up to date on boosters for COVID and flu – they said this is the biggest factor for how severe a bout of illness can be.
    2. Wear a well-fitting mask in all public spaces or around anyone you are not sure is vaccinated.
    3. It’s fairly low risk to have people over inside if they are also up to date on their COVID shots, especially the latest bivalent booster.

So, yeah, it really feels like the rest of the world has moved on without us.  At the same time, I’m grateful for my few friends who trust my doctors as much as I do and care enough about me to get the bivalent booster so they can come over.

• alyssa-silva

November 3, 2022 at 11:52 am

Completely agree with this, Micaela. I feel as though it’s tougher to watch the world move on while you’re still stuck at home. But yea. I am grateful for my close circle whom I can trust to be around. And of course my team of doctors too.

• tammy

November 5, 2022 at 9:05 pm

I’m definitely not socializing AS much as pre-pandemic, but I still do things here and there. I just don’t overdo it. I still get together with friends but mostly outdoor related things, except for instances where we go to the movie theater. And I still work 4 times a week but I always wear a mask and I never go indoor anywhere public without a mask on. I went to a few concerts this year and though I was a little on edge about it(even commuted via train during crowded rush hour to 1), I had a good time and nothing bad happened after. I’m definitely still out all the time but I’m a lot more careful. I hope the day comes when it’s more manageable like the flu is. Yes the flu still kills people but nobody was masking up and living in fear like we do with covid. I’m also lucky that all my really close friends are mask wearers in public as well so I don’t mind being around them