SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Covid has entered the building

• Covid has entered the building

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 16, 2022 at 9:37 am

Life has been chaotic for the last 72 hours. Although we’ve successfully made it 2.5 years, Covid has hit our home. What’s weird is that we’ve been super cautious and have not left the house in the last couple of weeks other than to see my brother and his family. Their PCR tests all came back negative, yet my mom was positive.
    She started out with symptoms on Monday and took four rapid tests at home. They all strangely came back negative. Her PCR test said otherwise on Friday.

Upon learning her test was positive, she started quarantining in her room. Prior to that, she was doing minimal care with me and wearing a mask. I’m obviously nervous about my health but not any more nervous than I would be about another virus. I was definitely exposed.

My doctors have been contacted and told me to call immediately upon feeling symptomatic so they can put a plan into place. I guess we’ll see what happens this week. I can’t get over that we really haven’t been exposed. My guess is maybe a caregiver was asymptomatic. But my mom and I do everything together, so it’s crazy that she got it and I didn’t. Well, not yet, at least.

Do you have a plan in place if you’re exposed to Covid? If so, do you mind sharing it with me?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 11 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • micaela-macdougall

May 16, 2022 at 12:35 pm

So sorry about this, especially so soon after your recent difficulties!  It feels like everyone I know has COVID right now.  I’m just grateful I haven’t been exposed yet…

Not a full-fledged plan, but a few thoughts:

1. I know rapid tests have not been doing a great job of catching omicron, so I would plan to rely on PCR tests.
    2. I would get a PCR test as soon as possible upon having symptoms.  I’m hoping that I’d be able to get my hands on paxlovid or one of the other antivirals, but I know that you have a narrow window for getting a prescription after getting symptoms/testing positive, so I wouldn’t delay on that timeline.
  • alyssa-silva

May 16, 2022 at 9:35 pm

I just learned about paxlovid on Friday as my dad’s physician recommended he go on it the minute he starts having symptoms. Apparently I don’t reach the weight limit for that drug. Instead my critical care team suggested remdesivir and prednisone. My body doesn’t handle prednisone well so hopefully it doesn’t come to that!

• deann-r

May 16, 2022 at 10:13 pm

I really hope you can avoid it. It is possible, Mom didn’t get it when I did. If you do catch it hopefully it will be mild. I like to think since we have such shallow breathing the virus can’t penetrate like a deep breather. Wishful thinking I know, but hey there’s worse conspiracy theories.

• alyssa-silva

May 17, 2022 at 9:19 am

I like that theory! ????

• yvette-haas

May 17, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Honestly…. You might end up regretting asking for this list, as it’s super long. I have at least half of the things in my cabinet, and I do a handful of them every day. The list makes me look paranoid, which I’m not at all. I just feel better being prepared before what could be a time of stress. And I slowly built this list over several months. It really came in handy in January, when 12 of my closest friends and family members got covid and were coming to me for recommendations.

I should also ad that I did not put a few things on the list, which I do recommend and I personally have a script for, as I tried to keep this list prescription-free.

• yvette-haas

May 17, 2022 at 3:02 pm

Pre or Post Exposure:

ImmuneMist

Take these together:
      Elemental Zinc 25mg 2x/day for 2-3 days, then 7mg 2x/day
      Quercetin 250mg 2x/day
      Vitamin C 1,000IU 2x/day or 1,000-2,000mg 4-6x/day

Vitamin D3 5,000IU/day

Take these together:
      Curcumin (Turmeric) 500mg 2x/day
      Raw Honey 1g/kg daily

Elderberry Extract 600-1,500mg/day

Either germ-killing mouthwash or diluted peroxide:
      Gargle for at least 30 seconds at least 2x/day

Any nasal spray that is Budesonide-based (like Rhinocort):
      Follow instructions on package

• yvette-haas

May 17, 2022 at 3:05 pm

As soon as symptoms start:

NAC 500mg 2-3x/day

Biotin 8mg 2x/day while infected

NanoSilver 1 tsp per day

L-Lysine 500 MG 2x/day. Helps to prevent shingles and herpes sores while fighting virus

Aspirin 81mg-325mg/day (or Nattokinase 2-4 tablets 2-3x/day)

Chestal

For Nebulizer: (I need to find the recipe)
        Saline
        Food-Grade Peroxide
        Iodine
        Every hour or two

Move a lot. It will feel worse at first, and then better. You will probably feel bad when you first wake up in the morning. Get moving. And take deep breaths in and out.

• alyssa-silva

May 18, 2022 at 11:42 am

Thank you for sharing it with us 🙂

• alyssa-silva

May 18, 2022 at 11:41 am

Definitely don’t regret it!! Do you find that doing these things helps with other viruses as well?

• yvette-haas

May 19, 2022 at 10:17 am

Absolutely. I either do, or would do, at least half of those things to treat most viruses or bacterial infections… Or take prophylactically.

• anna

May 18, 2022 at 3:39 am

Sorry to hear that, Alyssa. This must be everyone’s worst nightmare for the past two years!

I don’t have a plan other than notify my doctors immediately and follow their plan. I just wanted to add – and take it with a grain of salt – that the antibody treatment is still available for patients who can’t take antivirals for some reason. Although it’s not very effective against Omicron, it’s still an option.

I would also do whatever helps me fight respiratory infections in general. This varies from person to person and I think it’s important in preventing complications.

In any case, unless you have any symptoms by now and given omicron’s short incubation period, I think you’re safe. I hope your mom has fully recovered too.

• alyssa-silva

May 18, 2022 at 11:59 am

Alright guys. Crazy update to give. When I say we have no idea how my mom would have gotten the virus, I mean ZERO clue. Because cases are rising and the weather has been terrible here, we haven’t left the house in a couple of weeks other than to visit my brother’s family who all tested negative. We gave her 5 rapid tests which were all negative, so we thought… just to be safe… she should go for one more PCR the day after her first positive test. Sure enough, that one came back negative. It’s likely that the first test was a false positive, thank God. This test took forever to come back which meant stress levels were high for a bit.

Could she have still been positive and not carried the virus the following day for her test? It’s possible but unlikely considering our isolation. All I know is life works in mysterious ways. I was supposed to have a friend over this past weekend but canceled because I thought my mom had Covid. Yesterday, he tested positive. Anyone else feel like Covid is a game of dodgeball and you’re just trying you best not to get hit by the ball???

• micaela-macdougall

May 18, 2022 at 8:35 pm

That is exactly how I’ve been feeling for the last couple weeks!  Thanks for expressing it so well – it’s nice to know I’m not the only one.

• alyssa-silva

May 22, 2022 at 8:55 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one too. ????

• dennis-turner

May 19, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Dodgeball- exactly!

When it went through my house in December my visiting son, daughter-in-law, grandkids, and my wife all had it but I didn’t get it.

Go figure.

Stay well Alyssa

• alyssa-silva

May 22, 2022 at 8:54 pm

That is so crazy. I’m so glad you managed to stay healthy, but the uncertainty of who this virus hits and how it’ll affect different people is so unsettling. Keep up the good health, my friend.