SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Dealing with a PCA situation

• Dealing with a PCA situation

Posted by deann-r on December 11, 2018 at 11:08 am

A situation arose with my newest hired PCA a few weeks ago where she was physically injured (not from here) and couldn’t perform all of her tasks.  Although it irritated me that she didn’t give me more advanced noticed, I worked with her so she only missed a day and could come do the less physically taxing stuff while I had my Mom and other PCA’s come to do the stuff she couldn’t.  After a couple weeks of this I thought we were getting back to the routine, then last Wednesday 2 hrs before her scheduled shift she called out because of an issue with her foot and doc told her to stay off it for the day, but she thought she could come the next day.  Next day, same thing with only 2 hrs notice.  She was very apologetic, but it kind of puts me in a bind.  Luckily she wasn’t scheduled again till Monday, so I told her to rest up over the weekend.  When Monday came I thought we were good because it was noon and I hadn’t heard from her.  She was scheduled at 1.  Low and behold my phone rings.  She notified me she needs surgery on her foot, so would be out until further notice.  She was apologetic again.  Of course I wished her well but I told her I would need to look for a replacement as it would be for an extended period of time and my current PCA’s couldn’t cover that long. I told her I didn’t know if her position would be available when she returned.  She understood.

I know it’s not her fault, but it really puts me in a bind.  This time of year is really difficult to find a new PCA.  Luckily I have a small but dependable group of PCA’s who will do their best to cover, but that means I’ll have to rearrange my schedule to accommodate theirs.  It also brings on the anxieties of finding, training and getting used to someone new.  It has to be done, so I’ll do it.  Any tips or words of encouragement?

deann-r replied 5 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

December 11, 2018 at 11:29 am

It is frustrating for sure. I’m glad that this person was at least understanding of why you had to let her go. Maybe she could work out in the future, but right now she just has too much going on with her own health to work with you. It happens.

Keep us posted, and I have faith that you’ll find the right replacement. It’s tough, but you’ve also done this song and dance plenty of times in the past.

• ryan-berhar-2

December 11, 2018 at 11:07 pm

This kind of thing is just the worst. My condolences. You’ll figure it out!

• halsey-blocher

December 12, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I’ve had things like this happen multiple times. Sometimes we are able to work things out, but a lot of the time the last minute call offs tend to indicate it isn’t going to work out. I always hate when it happens, but the needs of me and my family need to come first. Praying you find a new PCA that will be dependable and exactly the right person for you!

• kelly-miller

December 13, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Deann, I am so sorry that you’re having to go through this, at Christmas time no less! What a hassle. Do you keep a list of past people you have interviewed but just didn’t hire because the timing wasn’t right? If so, maybe someone from that list would be interested in re-interviewing. Even though you didn’t hire them the 1st time, they may be in need of a job again but haven’t been seeking any because they think no one is hiring at Christmas. Or, maybe some of them would be interested in filling in for you on a temp basis until you can get someone more permanent. It’s just a thought.

Good luck with the hunt. I’ll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts in your direction! Don’t let this spoil your holiday – it will work out. We are always here if you need to vent!

• deann-r

December 17, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Unfortunately I’ve exhausted the list.  I always put feelers out to former PCA’s who I’ve stayed in contact with as well, but no such luck yet.  Doesn’t help that I live in a smallish town.  Usually I put up fliers at the tech college nearby, but figured that would be pointless at least until the next semester gets underway.

• deann-r

December 13, 2018 at 8:33 pm

I have an interview set up for tomorrow, fingers crossed.

• deann-r

December 14, 2018 at 10:26 am

What is wrong with people? My interview was a no show. Not even the common courtesy to call or text and let me know she wasn’t coming. So frustrating!

• halsey-blocher

December 15, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Wow! That’s terrible! It so unfortunate that these kinds of things happen! Sorry DeAnn!

• adnan-hafizovic

December 18, 2018 at 12:01 pm

I was in doubt should I something write about these theme,because I haven’t pca.But I know it is hard to find someone who is good ,who can understand you ,that person is responsible.

• kelly-miller

December 18, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I’m really sorry Deann that they didn’t show up. I hope you have people who are helping during this time while you go thru Christmas. Hopefully there will be people looking for jobs & turning over new leaves this coming new year. Keep your faith in mankind & there will be just the right person waiting to read your job announcement!

• deann-r

December 18, 2018 at 7:16 pm

I’m sure I’ll find the right person, just a terrible time of year to do it. Luckily I have a great group willing to fill in for now, but it’s tough being at the mercy of their schedules. I’m just happy to have the coverage I do.