SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Do I Risk My Life for a New Wheelchair?

• Do I Risk My Life for a New Wheelchair?

Posted by deann-r on July 14, 2020 at 7:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KQbvLPJ9IQ

Hey everyone! 

So, I’m keeping it real is the theme of this video. I don’t think people realize how stressful the current situation is for those of us considered “high-risk.” After deciding to start the process for a new wheelchair, the situation became real.

I’ve been doing well in my extended hibernation, but now I have to do an in-person evaluation with the DME company and occupational therapist. Can you believe the people at the OT office don’t wear masks? Hearing this has me scratching my head-figuratively, because I can’t reach my head. I’m also second guessing if I should risk it for a wheelchair. Ugh, I’m so apprehensive, but I can’t live under a rock. 

What kind of risks do you all take?  Am I being overly paranoid? 

deann-r replied 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • dennis-turner

July 14, 2020 at 11:42 am

Ask them to PLEASE wear a mask and gloves. This is a simple request and should be honored.

• alyssa-silva

July 14, 2020 at 3:11 pm

You are NOT being overly paranoid. As Dennis said, I would simply ask. This isn’t a matter of preference. It’s a matter of life and death— a little harsh, but you know what I mean. I personally would not go if they refuse to wear a mask, but I understand the need for a new chair. It’s a tough decision, for sure.

• jim-schneider

July 14, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Demand they wear masks or find a new supplier even if it means a delay!

• deann-r

July 15, 2020 at 10:39 am

The consensus is to make them wear masks.  Any advice on being assertive?

• deann-r

July 20, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Update: After sending an email requesting they wear masks for my appointment and they agreed! Thanks for all the support. It was just a shock when I was told they didn’t wear masks.