SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Finding Joy Amid Career Changes

• Finding Joy Amid Career Changes

Posted by brianna-albers on February 13, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hi everyone! My latest column went up on Monday, which you can find here. I talk a bit about my anxiety surrounding career changes and how difficult it is for me to accept the fact that plans change. I like being in charge, probably because illness makes me feel like I don’t have control over anything, so my life has just been one lesson after another—with me stubbornly pretending that I know what I’m doing.

I have some good news though: my school has a program in community counseling, which would allow me to graduate with my M.A. without having to go through the two years of field placements. I wouldn’t be licensed, which is fine because I’m not planning on working directly with clients anymore, but I’d still be able to work in the field, which is great! I don’t have anything figured out yet, but I’m getting closer, which is a huge relief.

Have any of you gone through significant career changes? Do you think your diagnosis affected the process in any way? Personally, I always feel like I’m running out of time, so it hits me especially hard when plans change and I have to take a detour. I don’t have time to waste!

deann-r replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

February 13, 2019 at 9:44 pm

Really awesome to hear that you’re remaining positive!

• deann-r

February 14, 2019 at 9:25 am

Sounds like a good compromise.  Good luck!