SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Ghosted by the Wheelchair Guy

• Ghosted by the Wheelchair Guy

Posted by deann-r on May 11, 2021 at 8:00 am

As y’all know I’m not loving the new wheelchair. Still, I’m trying to make the best of it. Since before Christmas I’ve been waiting on different arm rest pads and a better joystick mount to help the situation. In the meantime I’ve also been making a list of other things that need tweaking as well like the speed settings. I’ve called my rep directly few times and get a generic response that what they got in won’t work so they’re waiting on a different part. It feels like the calendar flipped and I’ve been ghosted. Has this ever happened to you guys? Do you just keep pestering?

adam replied 2 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jennifer-m-kucera

May 11, 2021 at 8:45 am

Hi DeAnn, I got a new chair about a year ago. It took a good 6 months before I was comfortable in it AND could function.  At the beginning I could not even feed myself.  I was completely dependent on others and that is SO not me. I’m a stubborn one! 🙂

But, finally after trying a gazillion different things, from my dad making/creating different devices to the rep coming out.

What I’m trying to say is, first off, hang in there and keep trying different things at home.

As far as your wheelchair company. Yes, keep pestering! This is your life we’re talking about! These are legs, arms and everything! Without it you can’t function at the level you’re used to. So, if I was you, if you’ve given the Rep a fair chance it’s time to go above his head! He must have a boss.

Also, if you get no where with his bosses do you have a local chapter of MDA,Easterseals or even the local Independent Living Center. You could contact them. Because maybe someone there has experience working with your company and has an “in” with them or knows of someone who could fix your chair. I do believe that you could go to another company even to get different add-ons but I’m not 100%sure on that one.

Ok, well, for what it’s worth those are my 2 cents.  Good luck to you!

Jennifer Kucera

• aimee

May 11, 2021 at 8:53 am

One HUNDRED percent.  Our guys are sooo nice when we see them, but so hard to get in touch with and get anything done.  My daughter got a new chair in December and we’re still waiting on the correct seat cushion to come in.  Ghosted is a great word for it.  I hate calling the central office and usually try to text or call our guy directly, but since he’s disappeared I guess I’m going to have to wait on hold for the office.  Hope you get everything straightened out soon!

• dennis-turner

May 11, 2021 at 11:34 am

In wheelchair hell right now. Flutter on back wheels, repaired last monday…  already broken, joystick arm broken, it had been fixed three months ago.

It is annoying how long it takes to get anything done. It is not like I really need to be able to get around.

This company was in the news around two weeks ago for making an older woman push her so. With CP around in his electric chair for 9 weeks because they didn’t have approval for parts.  My words to my wife, that is pretty standard time from what I can see. Hang in there and pester them.

• jim-schneider

May 11, 2021 at 9:22 pm

Call AT LEAST once a week.  After this long it is past time to start up the chain of command until you get to someone that will make it happen.  I have plenty of time on my hands to be a real pest and that seems to be what it takes sometimes.

• adam

May 12, 2021 at 11:42 am

Wheelchair reps are generally good people happy to provide a good service but really bloody difficult to nail down.

Like that friend who says they’re 5mins away but ya know they’re not even outta bed yet lol.

Keep on ’em DeAnn. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.