SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Going Out In Public for the First Time

• Going Out In Public for the First Time

Posted by brianna-albers on July 31, 2020 at 7:00 am

I have my first medical appointment since early March next week. I thought about postponing it (I technically only need to change my G-tube once a year, and I replaced it back in February), but decided to get it over with, on the off chance COVID gets worse this fall. I trust Gillette to observe social distancing and prioritize my health.

Still, I’m a little nervous. I’ve honestly forgotten how to be around other people! For those of you who have been out in public, what’s it like? Were you anxious at all?

brianna-albers replied 3 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • dennis-turner

July 31, 2020 at 7:26 am

I think region by region it is different, but in Massachusetts, almost everyone is wearing a mask, and most are being respectful.
    Just be careful and don’t fear.

• alyssa-silva

July 31, 2020 at 8:51 am

Yeah I agree with what Dennis said. For example, I had to go to an appointment at the hospital last week. Of course, I was a little nervous. But I did everything I possibly could to protect myself that if I got the virus, it would be completely out of my control at that point, ya know?

I wore a mask, used my blue light glasses to shield my eyes, and my mom also used a few pairs of gloves when we were in transit for doors and stuff. Pro tip: if you have to use an elevator, bring a q-tip to press the buttons.

• deann-r

July 31, 2020 at 9:48 am

I think the thought of going out is scarier than actually going out. Clinics take extra precautions, so I’ve felt the safest going there. We actually changed my gtube at home for the first time because I didn’t want to go in for that. But we can’t put our lives on hold forever. Get in, get out & hope for the best. Good luck!

• brianna-albers

September 4, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Ugh, I wish I was brave enough to change my G-tube at home! I’m such a wimp when it comes to that ????

• brianna-albers

September 4, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Omg the glasses are a great idea! Definitely doing that the next time I’m out.