SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Hiring Friends for Part-Time Assistance

• Hiring Friends for Part-Time Assistance

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 19, 2019 at 8:11 am

So I’ve never hired friends to do heavy caregiving stuff like bathing and getting me dressed. However, I’m always down to hire them for things like driving me around, and helping me around the house.

I just started this with a friend who’s in his last semester of college, and it’s working out great. He has a lighter course-load this semester, so he’s staying with me for a few hours on the weekends. It’s easy extra money for him, and it gives us a chance to hang out. Basically he’s just doing things like driving me, walking my dog, and helping me in my home office if I need something. If you have anyone in your life who’s either a student or just someone looking for a little extra money, I recommend this as an option.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • kelly-miller

January 20, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Great idea, Kevin! I have a friend who will go to the grocery store with me (when I don’t feel like doing it online) or the pet store. She loves doing both of those things, and I’m able to give her a little extra cash to supplement her college student income. Like you said, it works for several reasons: we spent time together, she makes a little money, and I get some chores done. It’s a win-win situation. Lately, we’ve even been going to the park to walk both of our dogs. I don’t pay her for that excursion since we’re just doing it as friends & good pet owners!

• kevin-schaefer

January 20, 2019 at 3:18 pm

That’s great Kelly! Yeah with my friend, we worked it out so that he’s with me on Fridays to help me while I work and run errands for me, and then on Saturdays we just hang out. I pay him some extra money, and then I’ll buy him lunch or get him movie passes when we’re out. It’s working out great so far.

• deann-r

January 21, 2019 at 10:45 am

I actually avoid hiring friends and close acquaintances.  Just a personal decision.  I do ask friends if they know of anyone though.  So far haven’t gotten much feedback from that.  Great that it’s been a good avenue for you to find assistance.  I’m sure it makes the communication easier.

• kevin-schaefer

January 22, 2019 at 1:54 pm

I understand. Though I remember you saying you hire your nieces sometimes to help out around the house for little things. It’s sort of like that.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 21, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Is there a particular reason you haven’t had friends do the “heavy caregiving stuff”? Or has it just not worked out that way? In my experience, those are the people I’m most comfortable with.

• kevin-schaefer

January 22, 2019 at 2:03 pm

So in college I did discuss this possibility with a few friends who I considered moving in with. Ultimately though there were too many logistical factors and scheduling issues that came into play. I don’t have any friends who could lift me regularly, so they’d have to learn how to use a lift. I’ve had a few friends carry me into house parties before, but that’s about it.

Now in my post-college life, my friends and I are all spread out and busy with jobs and careers. It’s just not practical today, but I can hire friends who are still in school for lighter caregiving stuff like transportation and running errands for me, and that works great. For me personally, it’s just worked out better to hire professional CNAs as my primary caregivers, and then friends to help with other stuff. Plus, my main caregiver of four and a half years has become one of my best friends.

Nevertheless, you do what works for you. Some people have friends or spouses/partners as their primary caregivers, and that’s great. You just have to find the best solution for you.