SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Hospital Essentials to Take With You

• Hospital Essentials to Take With You

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 26, 2022 at 12:20 pm

Hey all. When you’re hospitalized, what are a few (or several) items you like to take with you from home?

I have an upcoming scheduled admission, and I’m trying to make a list of what to take. Usually, I’m running out the door heading to the ER, so this is new for me. I’m not typically one to plan ahead but I think doing so will make my stay more comfortable.

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • dennis-turner

January 26, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Kindle, phone charger, warm shirt, paper & pen

• tracy-odell

January 26, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Have your essentials brought to you by a friend or family member, so they can move them from room to room as you are relocated from one area to another. Bring the bare minimum and stuff that’s easily replaced if lost or stolen.

I brought my electric toothbrush, comb, a printed list of phone numbers in case my cell phone wasn’t handy – just a few family members and attendants. If you can physically manage a novel, it’s nice to have a good book. I also have my Rx meds with dosages etc, a list of contact info for my various doctors and a list of anything I’ve been diagnosed with and when.

• deann-r

January 27, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Any pillows or positioning aids you need preferably with washable covers because you know, it’s a hospital.

• alyssa-silva

January 27, 2022 at 1:51 pm

These are such great tips, thank you! I’m also thinking about packing snacks and magazines and other things like that because of Covid. Typically my parents would run downstairs to the gift shop or restaurant to get whatever I’d feel like having but not sure how I feel about doing that now with the pandemic. Crazy, crazy world.