SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Kevin’s Weekly Journal 10/15 through 10/21/18

• Kevin’s Weekly Journal 10/15 through 10/21/18

Posted by kevin-schaefer on October 22, 2018 at 7:00 am

Well, I’ve officially been alive for a quarter of a century. I had a fantastic birthday weekend, and you can read my column from this week about turning 25 here: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/10/16/sma-words-wisdom-turning-25/?amp.

I spent most of the week working so that I could take Friday off, and I’m glad I did. I stayed really productive up through Thursday, and we have some exciting things going on at BioNews. I had to cancel physical therapy last Monday as my appointment conflicted with a conference call, but I’ll be back this week. Though with how much I ate this weekend, I’m not sure how my body will like stretching and exercising. I ate out twice on my birthday, and then had a big dinner with my family on Saturday. Plus I was showered with cookies and candy. But hey, it’s ok to spoil yourself here and there.

I’ll write about this more in another post later, but I did have some trouble with my van on Thursday. It’s fixed now, but it is an old one. This is our dodge caravan which we’ve had since 2005. We got an MV1 a few years ago and use that as our primary vehicle, but we kept the dodge so I could use it for friends to drive me. It still works, and it gives me independence because I don’t have to share it with my parents. We got it fixed in time for me to take it out on my birthday when I was out with friends. My caregiver Randy and his fiancé drove me, and we all had a great time.

I hope everyone here has a fantastic week, and thanks for joining us here. I’m grateful for the opportunity to connect with you all, and to navigate life with SMA together.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • michael-morale

October 22, 2018 at 10:26 am

I’m glad you had a good birthday Kevin. Gorging yourself in food and candy on your birthday is just something that you’re supposed to do anyways, so don’t feel bad about it. I’m writing this message as you are in your physical therapy, so let us know how your stretching and your exercises went since your overindulgence on your birthday. I can speak from experience that your physical therapy probably went okay, but you may now be regretting the fact that you ate so much.

I usually go to work out on Friday with Laura, but last week, she asked me to change it to this coming Friday because they are going to get dressed up for Halloween. Instead of getting my workout with Laura, I may be being stretched out by Shrek the Ogre, and maybe some other scary creature. Either way, I don’t care if it’s Barney the dinosaur, as long as I get my workout in.

Congratulations on turning a quarter of a century old. Considering that I am twenty-eight years older than you are, you are just a pup. Have a great week.

• kevin-schaefer

October 22, 2018 at 11:51 am

Thanks! And yeah it went well today. It was nice to be back in the pool since I took off last week. My PT Jean had me do some extra laps (assisted of course), and at the end of each session she has me lower my legs under the water, and then push them back up. They’re basically my version of push-ups. By the end of those I feel like I’ve worked myself, and I like it. Jean is good about pushing me, but also knows my limits.

And I do hope you’ll post pictures of whatever Halloween costume you do wear.

• deann-r

October 22, 2018 at 11:01 am

Happy belated birthday!  Glad you had a good one and followed your own advice.  As Michael said, you’re just a young pup.  Although in the SMA world you might be considered a veteran at 25.  Here’s to the next 25…cheers!

Van issues can certainly be a pain.  We opted to go from a full size van with mechanical lift to a mini van with a pull out ramp.  Seemed less likely things would go wrong with it.  Not to mention better gas mileage.

• kevin-schaefer

October 22, 2018 at 11:56 am

Thanks!

Honestly, I fully expected this time to be it. We’ve had that dodge for so long that I thought it had run its course. Fortunately though it was fixable, and the repair costs were manageable. It was a fuel leak, so something had broke. But I’m glad they were able to take care of it. Like I said, the MV1 is our primary vehicle and it works great; but the dodge is great because it allows me to go out with friends whenever I want.

• adnan-hafizovic

October 23, 2018 at 10:29 am

Kevin happy birthday.