SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Lengthy Equipment Approvals

• michael-morale

September 30, 2018 at 3:37 pm

DeAnn – I’m about to start the process of trying to get a new wheelchair, so I’m sure I’ll experience a ton of it.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 30, 2018 at 7:13 pm

I literally can’t get anything covered right now. It’s aggravating.

• kevin-schaefer

October 1, 2018 at 12:52 pm

You’re not alone at all. Before I got my current chair, my insurance denied it three times. We had to get my neurologist involved, which was ridiculous. And beyond getting insurance approvals for equipment and such, just getting things like caregivers has been crazy. I’m still waiting to hear back from agencies about respite hours and getting someone to work on Saturdays.

• deann-r

October 1, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I’m also working on getting a ceiling lift to no avail. Not sure who to point the finger at.  Certainly frustrating.  Good luck with the chair process Michael!

• kevin-schaefer

October 1, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I think our insurance covered my ceiling lift, but let me ask my Mom and get back to you. That lift makes transfers significantly easier.

• adnan-hafizovic

October 2, 2018 at 10:00 am

DeAnn yes you must wait,but you ll get it.Imagine how is people who lives in poor countries without all these things,of course I live in not so rich country I know how is hard to get some wheelchair and state give me just little financial help.

• deann-r

October 2, 2018 at 11:58 am

You are correct Adnan, many people don’t have access to what we do in the US.  It’s a good reminder to be patient.  We also have organizations that provide secondhand products if you’re in need.  My first Hoyer lift came through the MDA Association.  Do you have any organizations like that in your country?

• adnan-hafizovic

October 3, 2018 at 5:02 am

I haven t,most things like lift or wheelchair I get like a present from Bosnian people which in western Europe,yes these things are used but it helps me.Sincerly these people came to me and ask me what I need,and buy me.

• deann-r

October 25, 2018 at 10:01 am

Patience is a virtue as they say.  My headrest cover and wheels for my hoyer finally arrived.  Now it’s just the update for the cough assist.  I’m going to give them a call today to nudge them along a bit.  Patience may be a virtue, but you know what they also say about squeaky wheels.  We are heading into cold & flu season so it’d be nice to have that ready to go.