SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Looking for Netflix / Hulu / Prime Suggestions

• Looking for Netflix / Hulu / Prime Suggestions

Posted by deann-r on February 7, 2019 at 9:12 am

When I make my t-shirt line (more likely sweatshirt) I have my next catchphrase, “Minnesota, home of Ooh Brr!” Even though the polar vortex has lifted, we still are in the single digits and got a fresh 8” of snow overnight. Needless to say I’m staying put for the time being. I’m almost all caught up on the Netflix series I’ve been binge watching, so looking for suggestions. During hibernation I also have Prime and Hulu, so open to suggestions on those as well. Movie suggestions also welcome.

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 7 months ago 8 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • lupa-f

February 7, 2019 at 10:52 am

I lean toward more comedies with a long running drama when I need something different. Started up Person of Interest a little while ago, it starts off as a sort of usual CBS procedural (with some painful dialogue) but is slowly shifting to an almost sci-fi/thriller show. Can you list some of the ones you’ve already watched?

Legion season 2 was just added to Hulu this week if you’re into (very very) weird, comic book-ish shows.

• kevin-schaefer

February 7, 2019 at 11:52 am

Legion is awesome!

• deann-r

February 7, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Legion sounds like one I could try for something different.  I’m kind of all over the map with what I like.  Right now I’m almost caught up on Stranger Things and The 100.  Would like to find something a little lighter like Fuller House or Speechless that I could just have on in the background.  Although I do get drawn into the darker stuff like Breaking Bad & Dexter.  Outlander was pretty good along with  Handmaid’s Tale.  Don’t even know what category they fit.  Medical dramas are a favorite too.  As long as the characters are interesting I’ll give it a shot.

I’ve watched some real dud movies lately and now the suggestions are based on because I watched those.  I did like Birdbox though.

• kevin-schaefer

February 7, 2019 at 12:10 pm

I’ll just break this up into categories so you can pick and choose based on your interests.

Netflix originals:

-Stranger Things

-Godless (western miniseries)

-The Dragon Prince (excellent animated series)

-If you watch any of the Marvel Netflix shows, Daredevil and The Punisher are the best

-The Haunting of Hill House

Sitcoms across different streaming services:

-The Good Place

-Parks and Recreation

-New Girl

-The Office

-Speechless

-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Drama series:

-Star Trek: Voyager is possibly my favorite Trek series

-Firefly

-Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

-Sons of Anarchy

-Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

-Black Lightning

Movies (I’ll stick to Netflix for now):

-Pan’s Labyrinth

-The Conjuring

-It Follows

-The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

-Hellboy

-Hush

-Shaun of the Dead

-Hot Fuzz

-Across the Universe

-Coco

• ryan-berhar

February 7, 2019 at 11:14 pm

Just reading Kevin’s list should keep you busy till April.

• kevin-schaefer

February 8, 2019 at 9:21 am

Hehe, pretty much.

• kelly-miller

February 8, 2019 at 5:50 pm

I have to agree with a lot of those on Kevin’s list as well. I would add:

– The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) as something light and funny;
    – YOU (Netflix) as a creepy kind of interesting stalker drama;
    – RITA is Scandinavian (Netflix-subtitles) humor about it hysterically apathetic but surprisingly good teacher & her antics;
    – Friends from College (Netflix) is comedy we are currently watching about 5 friends 20 years after their graduation & the desire to continue the friendships that probably should’ve ended way back then;
    – RUSSIAN DOLL (Netflix) is a Groundhog Day redone in a different way with actress from Orange Is the New Black (BTW, I didn’t see that on Kevin’s list – I would highly recommend it!), I don’t like it much but my husband loves it;
    – The Last Kingdom (Netflix) is an oh so good saga about Vikings vs. British back in the day, if nothing else you should enjoy seeing main character Uhtrich (I think – the Viking) pillage with compassion;
    – MARS (Netflix) is half documentary & have drama about near future expedition to the red planet & our attempt to colonize, there is 2nd season already on Nat Geo if you have it, it can be slow but I liked it;
    – Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix) is a great documentary, even if you already know something about him;
    – SAFE (Netflix) has the guy from Dexter, even tho it’s supposedly Season 1 things seem to be pretty resolved by the end of it;
    – LOVESICK (Netflix) is a very quirky British comedy about 2 guys & a girl who are all best friends but as usual 1 of the guys is in love with the girl when she just wants to be friends, then she decides she’s in love with him & he’s already resolved to be friends, very funny show;
    – THE KILLING (Amazon) has several seasons & is Ah-mazing, you might get tired of the female detective toward the end but this is enough humor mixed with drama to keep you going for a while;
    – Humans (Amazon) is a good sci-fi & what-if-this-happened kind of series, I got a little bored in the 2nd season but my husband still liked it;
    – HOMECOMING (Amazon) a really good Julia Roberts psychological thriller;
    – Big Little Lies (if you have HBO) has big, big female actresses, 2nd season is about to come on soon & I can’t wait;
    – GOT (game of thrones of course HBO) if you haven’t already taken the plunge.

That should hold you off for a while after Kevin’s list!

• kevin-schaefer

February 9, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Homecoming is on my list. It’s based on a podcast, which gives me tons of motivation to keep podcasting lol.

• lupa-f

February 8, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Killing Eve on Hulu fits in with the Dexter and Breaking Bad type of series, police hunting a bad guy kind of thing where they show both sides.

• halsey-blocher

February 9, 2019 at 9:47 pm

The Crown is one of my personal favorites. It’s about Queen Elizabeth early in her reign. If you want something light and funny, I would recommend Friends if you haven’t already seen it.

• kevin-schaefer

February 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm

I know it’s controversial, but I do like How I Met Your Mother and New Girl better than friends. I like Friends, but Ross drives me crazy. Chandler’s my favorite.

• halsey-blocher

February 10, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Chandler is my favorite as well. Ross can be annoying but he has his moments.

• deann-r

February 10, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Well, these should get me through hibernation season. I’ve seen a few of the suggestions already, so confident there’s more in the mix I’ll enjoy.

• david-z

February 18, 2019 at 9:23 am

Netflix has a good Hungarian (subtitled) movie with the lead actors having real disabilities.

Kills on Wheels

• deann-r

February 18, 2019 at 9:31 am

Sounds interesting.  I’ll have to check it out.  Thanks.

• christopher-nolan

September 8, 2019 at 8:50 am

Well I was looking for the same and came across an awesome list – http://collider.com/best-tv-shows-on-amazon-prime/#twin-peaks

Go through the description and you will surely find something you love.

• kevin-schaefer

September 8, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Good list! I’m really enjoying Carnival Row on Amazon right now.