SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Most Accessible Travel Destination

• Most Accessible Travel Destination

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 11, 2021 at 11:27 am

Ok clearly I have a case of wanderlust because I can’t stop talking about traveling. Last time I asked what your dream travel destination is if accessibility weren’t an issue. Now I’m curious… what is the most accessible destination you’ve ever traveled to? I haven’t been to too many places so I’m not the person to ask, but I will say I was very impressed with transportation options down in the Miami area. There have been so many places I’ve been stranded at while traveling, but there was always a taxi available within 5 minutes down in south Florida. It was amazing.

tammy replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • blake-watson

October 11, 2021 at 5:10 pm

I’ve been to San Antonio before and I was surprised at how accessible it was. I stayed in a hotel downtown and there was a lot to do within a short, walkable/rollable radius (including the Alamo which is weirdly crammed right next to a mall). They have a River Walk boat ride/tour that is wheelchair accessible. I did it twice because the boat driver was so cool—he noticed I couldn’t turn my head well so at one point he made the whole boat do a slow 360 spin just so I could see everything he was talking about. Also there were super nice homeless people that would make sure I got across the street okay when crossing at busy intersections.

• alyssa-silva

October 12, 2021 at 9:42 am

Wow that boat guy sounds awesome. I’ve always wanted to see Texas, I’ll definitely have to add San Antonio to the list!

• tammy

October 11, 2021 at 9:44 pm

I have found Las Vegas to be very accessible both times that I was there. Even Spain was really good. Their airports were way better then they are here with handling wheelchairs with care. They really make sure everything is taken care of properly

• alyssa-silva

October 12, 2021 at 9:40 am

That’s so interesting to hear that Spain is accessible! And also amazing. I’ve been to Portugal a few times, and it was not all that accessible. My grandfather had to rent an ambulance transport for me to travel around the country in my wheelchair ahaha. But even then, much of the buildings weren’t wheelchair accessible. The heavily trafficked areas were pretty good though.

• tammy

October 12, 2021 at 6:34 pm

Well at least you were able to make it work. That’s the most important thing! Yeah Spain was surprisingly good, as I’ve mentioned especially with their airports. I mean don’t get me wrong there was the occasional old shop or certain castles that were not accessible but for the most part everywhere we went was. We just rented a van where we were able to pop out either the back seats or the middle seats. And we brought wooden ramps that we could just throw away after the trip was over. I have heard England is not good at all accessibility wise. I’ve heard that a lot of their elevators are too small to even fit the size of a wheelchair.