SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA NDEAM – What was your first job?

• NDEAM – What was your first job?

Posted by deann-r on October 12, 2021 at 8:47 am

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). I hope I got that acronym right. Anyway it’s got me thinking about one of my first jobs. One summer during high school I was a tour guide at a museum. Looking back it was a great way not only to get me out of my shell, but also expose others to disability in a non-threatening manner. What were some of your first jobs?

christina replied 2 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

October 12, 2021 at 9:35 am

That sounds like fun! I actually just quit my first ever job (I mentioned it here in a recent forum) which I started working at right out of college. I started out as a social media manager and then became more of a virtual assistant to the owner of a local gym. I was there for 8 years!

• tracy-odell

October 12, 2021 at 11:33 am

Receptionist after school and weekends in the hospital where I lived. I also typed essays and meeting minutes on a per/page basis.

• blake-watson

October 13, 2021 at 10:37 am

My first job was when I was in high school. I went to a small K-12 school. A teacher recruited me to tutor a couple of elementary kids after school. I remember one time in particular I was helping this kid who was a bit behind to learn to count to 100. He cried and cried at how impossible the task was. So I bribed him with candy. It worked! He was super excited… until the next day, when I informed him he would be counting down from 100. We had to start the grieving process all over again. ????

• tammy

October 14, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Day camp counselor was my first job

• christina

October 15, 2021 at 10:14 am

I was a clerk typist/receptionist for Metropolitan Development for the City of Indianapolis.  It was 1985 when computers first came out and they were so basic.  There were two computers for the whole office and I had to type everything for everyone in the office, probably about 10 people.