Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      DeAnn R
      Keymaster

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). I hope I got that acronym right. Anyway it’s got me thinking about one of my first jobs. One summer during high school I was a tour guide at a museum. Looking back it was a great way not only to get me out of my shell, but also expose others to disability in a non-threatening manner. What were some of your first jobs?

Alyssa Silva
      Keymaster

That sounds like fun! I actually just quit my first ever job (I mentioned it here in a recent forum) which I started working at right out of college. I started out as a social media manager and then became more of a virtual assistant to the owner of a local gym. I was there for 8 years!

Tracy Odell
      Participant

Receptionist after school and weekends in the hospital where I lived. I also typed essays and meeting minutes on a per/page basis.

Blake Watson
      Participant

My first job was when I was in high school. I went to a small K-12 school. A teacher recruited me to tutor a couple of elementary kids after school. I remember one time in particular I was helping this kid who was a bit behind to learn to count to 100. He cried and cried at how impossible the task was. So I bribed him with candy. It worked! He was super excited… until the next day, when I informed him he would be counting down from 100. We had to start the grieving process all over again. 😂

Tammy
      Participant

Day camp counselor was my first job

Christina Trimnell
      Participant

I was a clerk typist/receptionist for Metropolitan Development for the City of Indianapolis.  It was 1985 when computers first came out and they were so basic.  There were two computers for the whole office and I had to type everything for everyone in the office, probably about 10 people.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account