Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Read Alyssa Silva’s latest column about relying on other people for the most basic physical tasks: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/11/09/sma-being-mercy-others-dependence-tasks-coffee-tale/

I think this is one we can all relate to, and I like how Alyssa approaches this subject through a humorous lens. The coffee scenario resonated with me quite a bit.

What are your takeaways from this column?

Ryan Berhar
      Keymaster

Often times, the more menial things do end up being more frustrating. I think it’s because we’ve long since accepted the more severe downsides of SMA. But when it comes to a scenario like the coffee story here, it’s like “man, I can’t even deal with this properly?”

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Yep, I can totally relate. For me, the biggest frustrations come when I’m too tired to move my hand a couple inches, or when I don’t have enough energy to reach my phone. It’s tough, but I think it’s helpful to vent sometimes.

Adnan Hafizovic
      Participant

I often say:It s not easy when we depend on someone.

Kelly Miller
      Participant

I see it as the fact that when we have some of those great obstacles in our way, such as an infection or a concert to go to or the need for a shower, we shift into “handle mode.” When we’re stuck with the feeling of frustration over being dependent on others, there is no solution to this problem. It’s simply a matter of coming to terms with our frustration and sadness. I think we’re so used to being masters of finding new & different ways of doing things that we sometimes hit a brick wall when it comes to being at someone else’s mercy. I have found, for myself, I do much better when I keep a running inventory of my emotions and work through them as they come, instead of letting them fester inside, becoming much more mountains than molehills.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account