SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Permobil Wheelchair Users

• Permobil Wheelchair Users

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 14, 2021 at 11:00 am

Hey all. I have a question about my Permobil F3 and thought I’d ask here instead of calling the company I work with. It’s not a big deal— I’m just curious.

Every so often, a green light blinks in the back, sort of near the back right wheel, of my wheelchair for about 5-10 minutes. I haven’t noticed any rhyme or reason to it. The chair is off and charged when this happens, too. I park my chair close to my bed so I notice it when I’m trying to fall asleep at night. But it doesn’t do it every night. It’s strange to me!

Does anyone have any idea as to why it might be blinking? Are aliens tapping into my chair? Or, more realistically, am I leaving something powered on and unaware? This chair is so much fancier than my last that it’s a little overwhelming.

deann-r replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • dennis-turner

January 14, 2021 at 12:14 pm

I have an F3 and have never seen that blinking light. Most likely it is telling thank you for giving me new power?

• alyssa-silva

January 15, 2021 at 8:47 am

Haha, such a polite wheelchair!

• deann-r

January 14, 2021 at 1:28 pm

I’ve had that blinking light too. The wheelchair rep said it’s normal. Didn’t really explain what it was though.

• alyssa-silva

January 15, 2021 at 8:42 am

So bizarre. I wonder if the reps don’t even know what it means haha.

• lupa-f

January 14, 2021 at 3:42 pm

I don’t keep mine in my room (I have an M3), but I have seen that green flashing LED underneath the chair when I’ve finished charging it. But since I’m not usually in the same room with it I haven’t seen it beyond that. I searched through the manual and couldn’t find any obvious reference to it.

There really shouldn’t be anything flashing or showing up on these chairs when the power is off. They’ve got a few things that make it drain the battery when it’s off and I’ve managed to kill my batteries in about a year because of them. I’m fairly disappointed in how poorly thought out some of the design decisions on the chair are considering that permobil was supposed to be one of the best choices.

• alyssa-silva

January 15, 2021 at 8:46 am

Oh, I never thought about it draining the battery. That’s a good point. My mom said yesterday that it was flashing while I was driving it which would make sense (even though it still doesn’t explain why). So the fact it blinks even when it’s off is slightly concerning. I don’t want to ruin my chair.

• deann-r

January 15, 2021 at 9:36 am

I wouldn’t worry too much as I’m guessing they’re led lights so they wouldn’t drain much battery.