SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Podiatrists and Spinal Muscular Atrophy

• Podiatrists and Spinal Muscular Atrophy

Posted by michael-morale on October 24, 2018 at 3:19 pm

In my personal YouTube channel, I’ve done quite a few videos regarding my workouts that I do with my physical therapist. Now that we are working on my legs, we are trying to stretch the muscles in the hamstrings, quadriceps and calves. Laura, my physical therapist, is also doing flexing exercises on my feet and toes, flexing them back up toward my body to increase movement and to stretch these muscles and ligaments. In most of these videos, I state that my feet and my toes are the most sensitive parts of my body. Those of us with SMA have to pay special attention to our feet. Most of us that are confined to wheelchairs usually have quite a bit of swelling and edema that causes many of us difficulties when trying to find shoes that will fit.

Another issue that I have found is that if you don’t take care of your toenails and keep your nails trimmed, this too can be a major burden. I just got back from the podiatrist’s office where I go to get my toenails trimmed. After they trim them as much as possible, the nurse will then use a Dremel with a stone attachment to file my toenails down smooth. By doing this, they are also able to shorten the nail, where they wouldn’t have been able to do this with just a regular trimmer.

How many of you go to the podiatrist to get your feet done on a regular basis? If you do go to the podiatrist, do they use a Dremel on your toenails to help shape and manicure your nails?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

October 24, 2018 at 6:23 pm

TMI Michael. Haha. Just kidding. Fortunately I haven’t had to do that. I’m actually not on physical therapy at all right now.

• deann-r

October 25, 2018 at 9:22 am

After having ingrown nails that needed to be cut out on 3 occasions (yes, ouch!) I started having the podiatrist trim my nails.  I found it a hassle to get there every few months though, so now I just have the nurse do it when she stops once a month.  Otherwise I pretty much neglect my feet.  The one and only time, knock on wood, that I had a pressure sore was on the bottom of my heel.  Now I’m a little more conscientious of my footwear choices anyway.

• kevin-schaefer

October 25, 2018 at 10:04 am

I don’t see a podiatrist, but my PT Jean does a good job working all my muscles each week. She stretches my legs and feet in the pool, so it’s good to get that exercise. My Mom just cuts my toenails when need be.