SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Preparing For First Vaccine Shot

• Preparing For First Vaccine Shot

Posted by brianna-albers on March 18, 2021 at 7:00 am

Any tips for preparing for the first vaccine shot? I don’t know if I’m getting Pfizer or Moderna, but I know it’s not Johnson & Johnson. I’m definitely taking Tylenol before I go in.

zicari replied 3 years ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • dennis-turner

March 18, 2021 at 7:54 am

It was a big nothing for me. Didn’t even feel the needle.

• kelly-miller

March 18, 2021 at 7:29 pm

Mine was also a big nothing. I didn’t take anything going in, and I had no symptoms of any kind afterward. The only thing was my arm was sore for a few days. I had the Pfizer.

• lupa-f

March 18, 2021 at 10:40 pm

Unless you take it regularly for something else, it’s not recommended to take Tylenol or aspirin before the shot.

• zicari

March 24, 2021 at 7:10 am

I have had 1 shot of Moderna so far. My next is in three weeks.

The injection itself is easy and painless.

About 24 hours after the shot, I had a rough night. I had a headache, what felt like a mild fever (I didn’t take my temperature though), and some chills. Also my arm was sore at the injection point. I had no breathing issues. I had trouble falling asleep but eventually did. When I woke up it was like nothing had happened.

The symptoms lasted about 12 hours after they started (except the arm soreness which lasted a couple of days but was no big deal). It sucked overall but I’ve been through way worse. Not looking forward to the second one, though.

I’m not sure what you could do to prepare. The symptoms, if you have them, are uncomfortable but my understanding is that they pose no danger. And some people have no symptoms at all.