• Posted by brianna-albers on April 12, 2019 at 7:00 am

Happy Friday, everyone! Things are wrapping up for the semester (I worked through spring break, so I’m pretty much just waiting to take my final, which doesn’t open until the 22nd), so I’m starting to get into summer mode. I took summer classes last year, but none of the classes I need for my degree are offered this summer, so I’m basically off through the beginning of September. I haven’t had that much free time in years, so I’m freaking out a little. What am I going to do with myself?!

Right now, my plan is to finish the first draft of my book. I’ve been working on it on and off for a decade, and I’m at the point where I just want it done, so I’m going to sit my butt down and write for several hours a day. I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also definitely dreading it. I’m sure I’ll keep y’all updated on my progress!

Do you have any summer plans that you’re getting excited about? It doesn’t really feel like spring in MN—we just got hit with a blizzard—but the season is just around the corner!

brianna-albers replied 5 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

April 12, 2019 at 11:53 pm

I hope you get that book finished! The main thing I’m looking forward to currently is spending five or six days with my best friend/cousin around Memorial Day. Then in June, the same friend is getting married, and I’m the best man. Should be two highlights of my year.

• brianna-albers

April 18, 2019 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Ryan! That sounds like a blast – I hope it’s everything you want it to be!

• kevin-schaefer

April 14, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Good luck on drafting your book! Honestly, I wish I had more time to just write and read. I still have projects I’m working on, but it seems like every time I pick up a book or go to write a comic script, my phone blows up with work messages.

But I do understand the frustration of having too much time on your hands. Have you considered starting a writing group or a book club? Things like that help me stay motivated, and I always love connecting with other writers. Plus, being part of a writers group is important for accountability.

• brianna-albers

April 18, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Oh man, I know exactly what you mean. Whenever I sit down to work on my book, I get blasted with messages.

I actually applied to start a creative group in the Twin Cities! There’s a whole training program, so fingers crossed I get in. If I don’t, I’m hoping to start a writing group in the suburbs!

• deann-r

April 15, 2019 at 10:24 am

This latest snowstorm was a low blow. Just when everything had melted and dried up we have to start all over again. I’m really looking forward to being able to go outside without that chill in the air. As I’ve gotten older I’ve found it easier to do absolutely nothing. It’ll be so nice to just go outside, soak up the sun and do absolutely nothing. Usually I have my tablet and music with me though.

Any teasers on your book? Maybe you’ve mentioned what it’s about before but I don’t recall. What a fantastic goal.

• brianna-albers

April 18, 2019 at 6:15 pm

The snow was SUCH A BUMMER. We got a 60+ degree day this week though, so thankfully it’s all melted now. I’m trying to teach myself how to do nothing 😂

I think I’ve mentioned my book before, but if not, here’s a teaser: https://briannahopealbers.com/book