SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Summer Reading/Watching

• Summer Reading/Watching

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 8, 2019 at 11:22 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all are having a great week.

Since it’s summer, I was just wondering what you all have been watching and reading lately. Any recommendations? I loved Stranger Things season three, and I’ve been reading some great comics. I’ll also shamelessly plug my friend Christopher’s new sci-fi novel Howling Dark.

What have you all been checking out lately?

lisa replied 3 years, 10 months ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • kelly-miller

August 8, 2019 at 2:39 pm

So the shows that have been keeping me going this summer are The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu & Euphoria on HBO. To lighten up the mood, I regretfully admit to my addiction for reality shows; Big Brother is always a summertime go-to. However, I don’t have a whole lot of time to watch TV since I have about 200 Kindle books to read, and I add new ones every day.

My reading choices are all over the map of genres. Right now I’m in the middle of a sci-fi thriller called Obscura from Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited. I love to read about real people’s experiences in memoirs, so Hillbilly Elegy, about how our society keeps Appalachian people from moving out of their circumstances, and A River in Darkness, the story of a half Korean half Japanese man whose family moved in 1960 from Japan to North Korea, during the reign of Kim Il-sung, where he was trapped in poverty & extreme mistreatment until he miraculously escaped back to Japan in 1996, kept me turning the pages. I also gravitate toward the usual Stephen King horror stories and other less gory thrillers. My favorite this summer has been The Good Samaritan who, as the author would have it, turned out to be not such a good person! But, my absolute favorite type of book is fantasy with a little magic thrown in. I’m waiting for Sep. when the sequel to Children of Blood and Bone will be out. The intriguing plot of a young woman who must save her people by calling on her ancient blood destiny of being a Magi portrays a world filled with good vs. evil with magic as the weapon of defense. As you can probably guess, Amazon pretty much gets all my spare change as I can’t resist a new book for my Kindle collection!

• kevin-schaefer

August 8, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Great recommendations Kelly! I’ve seen some of Handmaid’s Tale. It’s well done, but a little too bleak for me.

Like you, I love memoirs and SF/fantasy. And yep, bookstores are dangerous for my wallet!

• deann-r

August 9, 2019 at 9:42 am

Kelly, I’m a fan of Handmaid’s Tale. For some reason I had a difficult time getting through the book, but the show has kept me watching. I fell into the 90 day fiancé vortex with all the spinoffs on TLC. These people might have Big Brother beat when it comes to their sanity levels. Entertaining nonetheless.

• adnan-hafizovic

August 9, 2019 at 9:28 am

Kevin I also like Stranger Things ,I just finished second season.I’m a big fan of Stephen King and this series is so similar to King themes.I also watched Handmaid’s Tale and i’m not so satisfied with them.Theme is good but but they didn’t use good.I’m in plan to watch all seasons of Fargo and The Office because of Steve Carell.I watched The Office a long time ago, but only for the first few seasons, so now I want to watch all the seasons.And yes I’m in plan to watch Dr.House.

• kevin-schaefer

August 9, 2019 at 4:49 pm

It was a good season. Stranger Things 2 is still my favorite, but I love the show as a whole.

• ryan-berhar

August 9, 2019 at 7:05 pm

I watched Stranger Things 3, Shooter S3, Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee, Rick and Morty, and a bunch of Criminal Minds this summer. I’m also currently reading Logical Chess by Irving Chernev.

• halsey-blocher

August 9, 2019 at 9:45 pm

I just finished a really interesting book called Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg. It’s about a “cyborg” named Ana who is a princess in the world’s best theme park which aims to make everyone’s dreams come true via virtual reality and technology. When she starts to go against her programming, Ana is accused of murdering a staff member that she claims to be in love with. Obviously I won’t say if she did it or not in case anyone decides to read it. I highly recommend it!

• lisa

November 14, 2019 at 12:17 am

Thanks for this thread. I realised i have stopped talking about other things than caregiving for a while.

• lisa

November 14, 2019 at 8:35 am

Right now, I am binge watching with my spouse Fleabag and it really is bringing much artistic joy into our life. I am also reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi- a very moving medical memoir- seriously heartbreaking and life affirming at the same time. I am also finishing Young’s Anatomy and Physiology book for my pre med tuition kids. It is a hectic two months.

• deann-r

November 15, 2019 at 9:15 am

Hey Lisa, I’m glad you found this thread too! What’s Fleabag about? I haven’t heard of it, but just the title itself is intriguing.

• alyssa-silva

November 15, 2019 at 2:53 pm

sounds like you are pretty busy, Lisa! I’m going to have to add when breath becomes air to my reading list. memoirs are my favorite.

• lisa

June 8, 2020 at 5:16 am

Fleabag is this beautiful show from a one woman theatre piece by Phoebe-Waller Bridge. It is available on Netflix i believe. It works with dark humour and the inner life of a ‘messed up’ young owman.