SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube The Morale Monologue #29 – Transferring A Patient With SMA During Physical Therapy

• The Morale Monologue #29 – Transferring A Patient With SMA During Physical Therapy

Posted by michael-morale on August 7, 2019 at 7:02 am

https://youtu.be/A_4l6YRr2Vg

In this episode of the Morale Monologue, I discuss the proper techniques to transfer a person with SMA out of their wheelchair. I’ve been doing physical therapy for the past two years. Every other week, my physical therapist and her assistant transfer me from my wheelchair to the therapy table. Physical therapists learn how to transfer a patient in school, but the majority of their patients have upper body strength and balance control. As such, these people are able to assist in the transfer process.

People with SMA rarely have upper body strength and balance control, which makes transferring more of a challenge. In this video, my PT and I demonstrate the proper techniques for transferring someone with SMA. Also, check out my physical therapist’s article on the SMA News Today HCP site here.

Do you have any questions for me? Do you do physical therapy?

Thanks for watching everyone!

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies