• Treatment Status

Posted by deann-r on September 9, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I’m just wondering, where is everyone at in their treatment journey? Although I’m not entirely thrilled with Evrysdi I’m sticking with it for now. Imodium is managing my stomach issues for the most part. Despite feeling Spinraza works better the difference isn’t enough to justify switching back. At least not for me. For the moment.

tammy replied 2 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • dennis-turner

September 9, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Spinraza for me, treatment #8 I think, on Monday.  I got that news this morning.

I don’t need gastrointestinal issues with Eversdi.

• jeremy

September 9, 2021 at 6:07 pm

I started Evrysdi on June 15th (my first attempt at treatment).  Can’t say I’ve noticed any clear effects so far, positive or negative.

• alyssa-silva

September 9, 2021 at 6:09 pm

I’ve gotten 18 doses of Spinraza thus far. Going off of what Dennis basically said, the possible GI issues with Evrysdi are enough to make me want to stick with Spinraza.

• amy-olmscheid

September 10, 2021 at 10:06 am

I started Evrysdi in January; similar to Jeremy, my first attempt at treatment. Haven’t noticed any significant gains or improvements.  Not sure what things would be like without it…if declines would have spend up.  It’s tough to know if it making any difference.

• tammy

September 12, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Same as others. Been on Evrysdi since April and haven’t noticed any gains. Wish there was something

• tammy

September 13, 2021 at 8:41 pm

Does anyone know if their smn numbers(I can’t remember if it was smn1 or smn2) changed some time after starting either spinraza or Evrysdi? I thought I read a comment on here a while back that someone said that one of their numbers went up a number, but maybe I’m just totally remembering wrong LOL

• alyssa-silva

September 14, 2021 at 8:47 am

My SMN2 has stayed the same. I’m not sure if Spinraza or Evrysdi can increase those genes, but that’d be something worth exploring!

• tammy

September 14, 2021 at 9:31 pm

I’m probably just remembering incorrectly lol

• deann-r

September 14, 2021 at 9:05 am

Pretty certain these medications won’t affect the number of SMN copies as they’re not gene therapies like Zolgensma (which replaces the SMN1 gene.) They can however increase the amount of protein being produced. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking? Both Spinraza and Evrysdi target the faulty SMN2 gene to correct the glitch so they can produce more functional protein. As far as the number of copies I think we’re stuck with what we got at the moment. That’s my interpretation anyway.

• tammy

September 14, 2021 at 9:29 pm

Yeah maybe that’s what I had read. Like I said I can’t remember exactly and I can’t find where the comment was posted either. But maybe it was the protein. Which I don’t even know how it’s possible to check that. I mentioned something about that to my neuro and he looked at me like I had three heads LOL cool. I was like okay I guess I read incorrectly LOL

• tammy

October 3, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Out of curiosity what are your smn2 numbers? Mine is 3