SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Typing on my iPad

• Typing on my iPad

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 17, 2018 at 9:00 am

Typing for me has become difficult in the last year or so, and of course I chose to be a writer. Just moving my hands across a keyboard is a struggle, which is why I’ve resorted to doing most of my work on my iPhone.

However, I did find a way to make typing on my iPad a little easier. I decided to turn it vertically, so as to make the screen and keypad a little smaller. I then propped my right hand on my phone and my left hand on a pad. With the smaller keypad I could move my fingers easier and type ok. It’s still hard to reach all of the buttons I need if I want to go to a different app or something, but for when I’m writing an article or script it works great. I can pull up a Google doc and just stay there.

Do any of you use an iPad or a tablet? Any tips you have?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

July 19, 2018 at 12:11 pm

I always use and type on smartphone in vertical position,you probably like to type,but it has some software that you type messages with voice.

• kevin-schaefer

July 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Yeah I know some people do prefer the voice-activated technology, but for me it takes too long when I’m writing. I can type fast on my iPhone and answer emails, create and edit documents, etc. It’s best to just find what works best for you.

• joannewillian

January 15, 2019 at 1:27 am

I want to ask if there is a keyboard that can be connected to the iPad. This way, I can type faster, suitable for people who need to write often. Currently, voice input is a better way for me to save typing time and fit all iPad models.

• kevin-schaefer

January 15, 2019 at 9:33 am

So you can buy a keyboard for your iPad, but not a mouse. I wish they would just make a mouse for iPads that could connect to the onscreen keyboard. That would be ideal for me, and probably others as well.

• deann-r

January 15, 2019 at 9:56 am

Not sure if this would be beneficial to you or not. I bought it for crafting but I found it’s the perfect size for my iPad when you take the clip off.  It’s like a Lazy Suzan, so I can put my iPad on it and just swivel it around when I  need to reach the top.  This is the first rectangular one I’ve seen.  Super easy to rotate it as well.  Probably too clumsy to use with a phone, but perfect for a tablet or iPad.  https://www.amazon.com/Card-Makers-Rotating-Design-Board/dp/B074ZR1DL7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547567173&sr=8-2&keywords=totally+tiffany+rotating+board

• dennis-turner

January 15, 2019 at 11:32 am

Blue tooth mice are easily obtainable and wwill work with iPhone, iPad,  or any tablet. You would still need to find out what works for you.

• halsey-blocher

January 21, 2019 at 9:40 pm

I always type on my phone or iPad. I haven’t owned a laptop in several years, as they are to hard to type on. Anytime I do, I use the eraser end of a pencil to give me the reach I need. I can type fastest on my phone due to its small size.

• noahoscar986

February 26, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Dear buy an adjustable desk according to your requirement. I know its too difficult for typing, but by using a desk, I saw many on coupon code flexispot, if you think it will help you in typing must check there. You can easily type in any position, dont worry everything would be fine soon.

• kevin-schaefer

February 27, 2019 at 10:05 am

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I use my tray all the time to prop my phone or iPad. I kinda prefer it over a standard desk, as it attaches nice to my chair.

• lupa-f

February 27, 2019 at 10:24 am
    • kevin-schaefer

February 27, 2019 at 10:57 am

I’ve heard of things like this, but I haven’t looked into them. Thanks!

• kelly-miller

February 28, 2019 at 2:16 pm

When I lived in Atlanta, I went to a Georgia Tech dept that had all sorts of adaptive equipment to try out. I practiced on the eye-movement one for a computer. I didn’t like it because it seemed very slow and tedious. I currently use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and, because I’ve used it many years, I’ve gotten pretty fast, but I totally get how your typing can be much quicker. Unfortunately, Dragon doesn’t make a version that works on any tablet. That’s super annoying! I have it installed on my laptop, and Microsoft has its own software of voice activation already installed with Windows 10 for whenever Dragon isn’t incompatible with a website.

Kevin, I don’t know if Apple has anything similar, or if they even have it on a tablet, but you could use something like that to help you get to those out of reach keys. It has a mouse function that is part of this software. It’s easy to just pull up for a one-time use, then go back to typing, without really slowing you down too much.

• kevin-schaefer

February 28, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I’ve talked with Apple people about it. Ideally, I’d like just a mouse to connect to an iPad, or an app that could allow me to connect my phone to my iPad and control it that way. I use the onscreen keyboard on a computer for little things and quick emails.