• Weekend Recap

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on July 23, 2018 at 8:12 pm

The last two weekends have been unusual for me, because my dad was out of town. He is one of my main caregivers, so when he’s gone I have to adapt. I had to go to my grandma’s house on the last two Sunday mornings in order to get ready—shower and such. I even ended up going to her church on both occasions. Being forced to change your routine can be frustrating, but I’m glad my grandma is nearby to help me. Do you guys often have to adapt on the fly? If so, what does that look like for you?

deann-r replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

July 24, 2018 at 9:36 am

Yeah I think all of us have to adapt at any given moment. For me, if my main caregiver is unable to make it, then one of my parents has to get me ready. It’s a little annoying, but I manage.

Also, if I know my parents will be out for a while then I plan accordingly. For instance, my Mom went to my cousin’s bridal shower this past Sunday and my Dad went to lunch with all of the guys in our family. Meanwhile I went to church and lunch with my brother and his girlfriend, and I had a friend come over afterwards since the shower was still going on.

My best advice is to plan each week as best you can. There will be things that inevitably pop up, and you just have to adapt accordingly.

Also, have you started looking for PCAs? If you need any advice let me know. It’s tricky knowing where to start.

• ryan-berhar-2

July 24, 2018 at 5:04 pm

We have started looking into it, but we’re running into the issue of lifting. Agencies require using a Hoyer lift. We’re looking into getting a ceiling track lift.

• kevin-schaefer

July 25, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Yeah the ceiling lift is definitely the best one I’ve ever used, but like Michael said you could get the MDA to loan you one until you acquire a ceiling lift.

• michael-morale

July 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Ryan – Check with the MDA. They will loan you a Hoyer lift, at no charge, if they have one in stock. They loaned me one 5 years ago, and I keep it in case we loose power.

• deann-r

July 29, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Adapt is my middle name!  Alright, maybe not but it might as well be.  Just last week I had all sorts of projects lined up for when my homemaker came.  She didn’t show up.  On to plan b!