SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About “Finding the Sweet Spot”

• Columnist Writes About “Finding the Sweet Spot”

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 12, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week.

Check out my latest column here. I had to get bloodwork done a few weeks ago, in preparation for my eighth Spinraza injection. Finding a vein to draw blood from is tough for a lot of us. Fortunately though, this particular appointment went great.

This situation made me think about the idea of “finding the sweet spot.” I wrote about how this concept applies to positioning in my wheelchair and bed, working at my computer, and other things. I hope you enjoy.

Can you relate to this notion? Do you have any other examples?

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • tracy-odell

June 12, 2019 at 7:12 am

Wow! I can certainly relate!

• kevin-schaefer

June 12, 2019 at 11:35 am

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah it’s crazy how many scenarios this idea applies to.

• losmi

June 12, 2019 at 10:06 am

Nicely wrote column Kevin, lots of humor, but ”Lexington, Kentucky” line was the best one for me:D Is Lexington, Kentucky really notorious for accessibility, or is it like generally one should not expect many accessible sites in Kentucky state? Whatever the reason is, I like how the whole sentence sounds.

So as I said I like the humor, but it is really kind of text that shows how much trouble people with SMA have to go through every single day.

• kevin-schaefer

June 12, 2019 at 11:42 am

Thank you!

And yeah my parents and I were in Lexington in May, which I wrote about. Oy. it was a hassle.

• deann-r

June 12, 2019 at 4:33 pm

I can certainly relate. A few years back during a hospital stay I questioned if I’d ever be comfortable again. It’s also why I’m hesitant to get a new chair. Luckily most people understand that I’m seated for an extended amount of time so it’s important to be comfortable. I try not to be too picky though.

• kevin-schaefer

June 18, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I hear ya. I try to hold on to the same chair for as long as possible. Getting comfortable in a new one can be tricky!