SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Compression Socks

• dennis-turner

June 4, 2021 at 7:06 am

Compression WRAPS!

Much easier to get on and very helpful. I have gone too far for them to really work anymore, but they are great.

• deann-r

June 4, 2021 at 8:31 am

I tried compression socks once upon a time, but as Dennis alluded to they’re difficult to put on.

• tammy

June 4, 2021 at 3:39 pm

They are difficult to put on but if you have a PCA who knows what they are doing, they should be able to do it correctly. They also make a device that you put the sock around and then just simply slip your foot in and pull the device out. You can get it cheap on Amazon. I think it’s called a compression Aid or something like that. Also sometimes I wear bombas socks which have an arch support band in it that kind of acts as a compression. At least for me it does. But I wouldn’t use them without talking to your doctor first

• mike-huddleston

June 4, 2021 at 4:02 pm

Hey Brianna –

They are almost impossible for me to put on, so I don’t even try anymore.  The item Tammy refers to is about $10 at Amazon and supposedly works relatively well, but I couldn’t swear to it.

AmazonSmile: RMS Deluxe Sock Aid – Socks Helper with Foam Handles: Health & Personal Care

That said, an alternative that is challenging to put on, but nowhere near as bad as compression socks, are “sports socks”.  These are knee high and provide light compression support.  For me, they do an amazing job of reducing the swelling around my ankles.  Many different brands on Amazon for these as well.  Wander is one brand I use, as well as Weierya.  The latter is generally categorized as ski socks, but they work just fine.  Just avoid the ones with a bit more wool in the summer months, unless you like your feet to be super toasty.

Hope it helps.

• lupa-f

June 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

Mike, I got the device you linked. At least for me it was pointless because you still have to get the sock around the plastic which is bigger than my foot and I couldn’t even come close to getting it on that thing. I tried another device too which had the same issue: if I can’t get it over my foot how am I supposed to get it over something bigger than my foot?

I’ve given up on these socks because I’m afraid at this point even if I manage to get them on I’d never get them off. I might look into the wraps.

• tammy

June 6, 2021 at 12:09 pm

For us i think it’s more reasonable for use by a PCA, not ourselves. This way people aren’t hurting us getting it on