SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Coronavirus: To Fear or Not to Fear

• deann-r

March 2, 2020 at 10:50 am

Worried yes, panicking no.  Because I’m beneath the “underlying condition” umbrella that seemingly is feeling the brunt of it, of course it’s concerning me.  Unfortunately it’s out of my control.  As you know I’m a bit of a germaphobe, and this certainly won’t help.  People really don’t know how often they touch their faces then other objects.  Oftentimes they don’t realize or admit when they’re ill either.  That’s what makes it tough to contain viruses like this. The whole coughing into your elbow bothers me as well.  I just saw someone recommending an elbow bump instead of a handshake for a greeting.  All fine if you’re not coughing into your elbow…eeek!

I’m just going to continue to practice my usual precautions and hope it is being blown out of proportion.  Maybe I’ll watch my favorite outbreak movies like Contagion and I am Legend while my hibernation mode is extended.

• alyssa-silva

March 2, 2020 at 10:38 pm

We’re all mild germaphobes in my house too. Found out today that our friend was exposed to it, and she’s not feeling well herself. My father was with her last week. On the news just now, they announced 6 people have deceased in Washington state “all with immunocompromised conditions.” UGH— I hope this passes soon.

• robert-stump

March 3, 2020 at 1:42 am

Yes, I am freaking out more than I thought I would.  I’ve always felt like I’ve come to terms with having a reduced lifespan, and I dread each winter season knowing that if I catch something bad it could be the one to take me out, but this feels more like a slow moving train heading right towards me but I am unable to move out of his way.  Sure, there’s a chance I won’t get it, or even if I do it won’t be that bad, but I feel the same way about all of these so-called “underlying health conditions” that most of the people who have died from it have had.  I need more details on which health conditions are the most difficult to survive this with, though with my severely compromised lungs and my general weakness after living 49 years with SMA Type II, I feel I am a prime target for this one.

• alyssa-silva

March 3, 2020 at 9:09 am

I hear what you’re saying, Robert. It’s common to feel helpless in these situations. Stay safe out there.

• adnan-hafizovic

March 3, 2020 at 11:56 am

We in Bosnia have the crazy fortune of not having a single person with corona virus so far, although Italy is close, there are cases of diseased persons in neighboring Croatia. We like to joke and say that in Bosnia we seem to pray a lot to God. It just doesn’t need to panic and needs to increase hygiene care, and of course eat plenty of Vitamin C.

• alyssa-silva

March 3, 2020 at 12:41 pm

I hope it stays that way, Adnan! Maybe send those prayers to the United States as well. 🙂

• jim-schneider

March 3, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Just don’t want to become one of the statistics with those nasty underlying health conditions. Hibernate till summer!

• adnan-hafizovic

March 4, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Alyissa we Bosnians like to joke, but of course we pray for Americans, and for all the people in the world.These bacteria don’t like the sun and the day, as soon as spring comes I think the corona will be gone.