Sponsored Post

How different generations living with SMA can teach one another

Meet Regina and Al. Their friendship and respect for one another all started at a fundraiser before a Phillies baseball game in 2019. “I watched Regina give a beautiful speech at the event about her recently diagnosed son, Shane,” recalled Al. “I thought to myself, ‘My friends at Cure SMA need to meet this amazing mom and get her involved.’”

Tagged: ,

This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 4 months ago by Halsey Blocher.

• Author
      Ryan Berhar
      Keymaster

I wanted to share another tip. If you’re like me, your ears get sore laying on them throughout the night. What I did was take a block of memory foam that’s about three inches thick and carve a hole in it. It may not work for you because of spinal curve. For example, I can only use mine on my left side. But it helps a lot and may be worth a shot!

Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Great idea! I have this problem as well. Between being on my side all night and wearing my BiPAP, my left ear definitely gets irritated. I’ll try this out.

Ryan Berhar
        Keymaster

Worth a shot. Another thing is you gotta make the hole fairly large. Like big enough to fit a baseball into.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

Good idea for us ladies (or gents) who have ear piercings as well!

David Z
      Participant

Carving memory foam is great, but I’ve found this really helpful as well. It was ~$100 direct from manufacturer.

http://www.molnlycke.us/turning-and-positioning-system/molnlycke-z-flo-positioner/

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Thanks David!

Ryan Berhar
        Keymaster

I’ll check it out! Thanks!

Jenny Rellick
        Participant

How do you use this to protect your ear in a full side-lying position? The video says to start with the patient on his back, but I can’t do that.

David Z
          Participant

You can mold/use it however you want. I just start out with it flattened, and have my PCA push down under where my ear is pressing.

Ryan Berhar
      Keymaster

Hey Jenny, good to hear from you! I actually don’t experience any of those issues, so I’m afraid I can’t help you there.

Jenny Rellick
      Participant

Wow. Maybe it’s just me. But, Amazon reviewers talk about this problem a lot. I only developed the ear problem in my 30’s. I developed the sweat problem as soon as I began using memory foam toppers.

DeAnn R
        Keymaster

Jenny, have you ever used one of those air exchange toppers for your bed?  Not sure the technical name, but I tried one years ago and disliked it because it pumped room air so was too cool for me.  It has chambers that alternate inflation levels throughout the night. A medical supply company would know what I’m talking about.

Ryan Berhar
        Keymaster

Well one thing I have learned is that everyone with SMA is just so different. I mean, as I said, I can’t use a pillow of any kind on my right side. You just gotta figure out what works for you personally.

Noahoscar986
      Participant

Yeah, I am having this same ear sore problem, I really much irritated from this issue, I also like your suggestion as well, but I bought a curve pillow from My Pillow discount code at Reecoupons and I really feel much better after using this pillow.

Kelly Miller
      Participant

David, which size did you get? I would love to have the one that goes under my head. I can’t figure out how to order it. Did you have to go thru a medical supply company? When I click on the actual line for the product (the one with the item # etc.), it doesn’t do anything.

Halsey Blocher
      Participant

I’ve heard of people doing this but haven’t tried it. One thing that I do to prevent eat sores is to fold my ear forward so that the back of my ear is against my pillow. I’ve had a lot of people tell it’s strange, but it helps tremendously. I also sometimes roll up a wash cloth or hand towel and tuck it next to my head to lift some of the weight off of my ear. It’s nothing fancy but it works and it’s cheap.

Ryan Berhar

Wow that’s interesting. My ears have to be perfectly straight or else they’ll hurt like heck.

Halsey Blocher
          Participant

Yeah, like I said, it’s strange. I’ve learned that most people’s ears aren’t even flexible enough to try it.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.