Tagged: ,

• Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on May 23, 2018 at 7:54 pm

I wanted to share another tip. If you’re like me, your ears get sore laying on them throughout the night. What I did was take a block of memory foam that’s about three inches thick and carve a hole in it. It may not work for you because of spinal curve. For example, I can only use mine on my left side. But it helps a lot and may be worth a shot!

halsey-blocher replied 5 years ago 9 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

May 24, 2018 at 9:00 am

Great idea! I have this problem as well. Between being on my side all night and wearing my BiPAP, my left ear definitely gets irritated. I’ll try this out.

• ryan-berhar-2

May 24, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Worth a shot. Another thing is you gotta make the hole fairly large. Like big enough to fit a baseball into.

• deann-r

May 24, 2018 at 11:22 am

Good idea for us ladies (or gents) who have ear piercings as well!

• david-z

June 3, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Carving memory foam is great, but I’ve found this really helpful as well. It was ~$100 direct from manufacturer.

http://www.molnlycke.us/turning-and-positioning-system/molnlycke-z-flo-positioner/

• kevin-schaefer

June 3, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Thanks David!

• ryan-berhar-2

June 3, 2018 at 9:50 pm

I’ll check it out! Thanks!

• jenny-rellick

June 14, 2018 at 6:18 pm

How do you use this to protect your ear in a full side-lying position? The video says to start with the patient on his back, but I can’t do that.

• david-z

June 14, 2018 at 9:01 pm

You can mold/use it however you want. I just start out with it flattened, and have my PCA push down under where my ear is pressing.

• ryan-berhar-2

June 14, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Hey Jenny, good to hear from you! I actually don’t experience any of those issues, so I’m afraid I can’t help you there.

• jenny-rellick

June 14, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Wow. Maybe it’s just me. But, Amazon reviewers talk about this problem a lot. I only developed the ear problem in my 30’s. I developed the sweat problem as soon as I began using memory foam toppers.

• deann-r

June 14, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Jenny, have you ever used one of those air exchange toppers for your bed?  Not sure the technical name, but I tried one years ago and disliked it because it pumped room air so was too cool for me.  It has chambers that alternate inflation levels throughout the night. A medical supply company would know what I’m talking about.

• ryan-berhar-2

June 14, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Well one thing I have learned is that everyone with SMA is just so different. I mean, as I said, I can’t use a pillow of any kind on my right side. You just gotta figure out what works for you personally.

• noahoscar986

April 3, 2019 at 1:11 am

Yeah, I am having this same ear sore problem, I really much irritated from this issue, I also like your suggestion as well, but I bought a curve pillow from My Pillow discount code at Reecoupons and I really feel much better after using this pillow.

• kelly-miller

April 4, 2019 at 1:47 pm

David, which size did you get? I would love to have the one that goes under my head. I can’t figure out how to order it. Did you have to go thru a medical supply company? When I click on the actual line for the product (the one with the item # etc.), it doesn’t do anything.

• halsey-blocher

April 8, 2019 at 9:44 pm

I’ve heard of people doing this but haven’t tried it. One thing that I do to prevent eat sores is to fold my ear forward so that the back of my ear is against my pillow. I’ve had a lot of people tell it’s strange, but it helps tremendously. I also sometimes roll up a wash cloth or hand towel and tuck it next to my head to lift some of the weight off of my ear. It’s nothing fancy but it works and it’s cheap.

• ryan-berhar

April 8, 2019 at 9:51 pm

Wow that’s interesting. My ears have to be perfectly straight or else they’ll hurt like heck.

• halsey-blocher

April 9, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Yeah, like I said, it’s strange. I’ve learned that most people’s ears aren’t even flexible enough to try it.