SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Eating Healthier Snacks

• Eating Healthier Snacks

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 29, 2019 at 7:00 am

I mentioned that one of my goals this year was to eat healthier, and I’ve made some good strides here. Granted, I’m no saint and did eat wings and nachos on Sunday when I was out with friends, but I’m taking baby steps.

One of the things that’s helped me a lot is replacing things like chips and cookies with healthier snacks at home. Celery sticks with peanut butter is a favorite of mine. With this snack I get a helping of vegetables and protein, and I feel better when I eat one. I ate some yesterday morning before PT, and I felt good going into my PT session. Especially since I’m notorious for getting snacks in between dinner and bedtime, I’ve found this to be a much healthier option than ruffles and chips ahoy.

Do you have any healthy snack options that you’d recommend?

halsey-blocher replied 5 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

January 29, 2019 at 10:41 am

Eat salads when you lunch ,some fruits,every day eat different fruits,that it.Did you try mix different vegetables and fruits in blender?

• kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 11:54 am

I do eat salads pretty regularly, and I am looking into trying shakes/blended drinks.

• kelly-miller

January 29, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I recently looked into a smoothie kit delivery option. It’s much like the meal kit deliveries (Bistro MD, Plated) except they send you either the ingredients needed for a variety of healthy 20 oz. smoothies, or they send you several packages of already mixed and frozen varied smoothies. It’s all pretty reasonably priced, but I decided to see about doing it on my own first because I just don’t have enough room in my freezer to store all those pouches. My husband & I have made a pact to keep each other from eating the sugar that has become a main staple in our diets, and I’m about to make a list of ingredients we need to buy at the grocery like flaxseed, peanut butter, bananas, & spinach. Here’s to eating (or drinking) healthy!

• kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Nice! Yeah that kind of accountability definitely helps as well.

• deann-r

January 29, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Are you an ice cream fan? If so you could check into a Yonana machine. It turns frozen fruit into an ice cream consistency. Works best with bananas but I’ve mixed in other fruits and ingredients with it.

• kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 4:45 pm

Indeed I am! I’ll check that out!

• ryan-berhar-2

January 29, 2019 at 9:00 pm

One healthier snack I love is cheese and grapes. I thought it was a weird combination at first, but it’s one of my favorites now.

• halsey-blocher

January 29, 2019 at 9:15 pm

I personally love fruit smoothies! Bolthouse and Naked sell a variety of very good fruit smoothies and juices. My favorite is strawberry banana. We also have a Smoothie King here, and that is delicious!