SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Revised CDC Mask Recommendations

• Revised CDC Mask Recommendations

Posted by deann-r on May 14, 2021 at 11:00 am

Yesterday the CDC announced new mask recommendations.  Basically you no longer need to wear a mask if you’re vaccinated.  Of course there are some exceptions and stipulations.  Regardless, this prompted my state to repeal their mask mandate.  For some reason it’s causing me a little anxiety.  In just a bit I’m headed to my weekly ot appointment, I’m taking Horton to the vet for a booster shot and we were going to stop at the meat market to pick up something to grill over the weekend.  The thought that no one will be wearing masks is unnerving.  How do you feel about it?  I am vaccinated, so it gives me a little reassurance, but I don’t know who is or isn’t vaccinated.  Ugh, I just don’t know how to feel or how careful I need to be.  Do I wear a mask anyway?  What’s the situation like where you live?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • dennis-turner

May 14, 2021 at 11:30 am

I am probably going to still wear mine for now, but I can’t control how anyone else behaves.

I don’t think we, as vaccinated people, really need them anymore, but caution never is wrong. Perhaps your mask will help keep you safe.

• tracy-odell

May 14, 2021 at 11:47 am

I agree with Dennis andI would add: If you decide to wear a mask for an added safety shield, use an N-95 one.

In my city (Toronto) more than 50% have had their first shot and a small number of people have received their second shot. I’m wearing an N-95 mask If I must go out, just in case.

• lupa-f

May 14, 2021 at 1:29 pm

DeAnn, didn’t you have covid already too? Reinfections still seem surprisingly rare, so between that and being vaccinated I’d say you don’t have a lot to really worry about. But it’s really up to how comfortable you feel. As the others have said, in this case, get a mask that protects you rather than a standard mask that’s more for protecting others.

• alyssa-silva

May 14, 2021 at 4:09 pm

It’s a little unnerving to me as well, but I think if you wear a mask regardless, you shouldn’t let the fear get to you. My uncle speaks with Dr. Fauci often, and he says that Covid is here for a long time. Definitely not what we want to hear but we also know that masks have been proven effective. So between continuing to wear them and getting vaccinated, I think you’ll be ok.