SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Protecting Your Wheelchair From The Rain

• Protecting Your Wheelchair From The Rain

Posted by ryan-berhar on September 10, 2019 at 5:05 pm

I was in Eugene for the Ducks game on Saturday, and it was raining ever so slightly at the beginning of the game. Thankfully, it stopped, but I actually got a poncho just in case. I don’t know how well it would have worked, but worth a shot. Have you used a poncho? Was it successful?

adam replied 3 years ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dennis-turner

September 10, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I have and do use a poncho.  Hate it and don’t find it very helpful. Usually I end up with plastic bags covering my joystick and my lefthand positioning control (bread bags work well).

My understanding is that these are the most vulnerable pieces in terms of moisture. But again, what do I know?

• halsey-blocher

September 10, 2019 at 8:55 pm

I have used ponchos on occasion. As most of us do, I generally avoid rain, but if I can’t avoid it, ponchos are an acceptable solution. I usually use one for myself and one to cover the chair. Whenever possible I pair the ponchos with a large golf umbrella.

• ryan-berhar

September 11, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Yeah, rain isn’t a big issue for me, as my hometown doesn’t get much rain. But I was curious anyway.

• jim-schneider

September 12, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Always have a couple of bread bags in the backpack for the joystick.  Have a huge oversized poncho that will cover me and the chair if it was really really bad.

• kevin-schaefer

September 12, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Good tips! I have used ponchos before, and I have one that’s soft and works great during the wintertime. It’s sort of a poncho/coat hybrid.

• adam

April 11, 2021 at 5:06 pm

Never really bothered unless I was gonna be out in decent rain for a long period like a football game/outdoor event. Only time I had a problem was nearly 20yrs ago in high school some water got in because the rubber skirting around the joystick was ripped up. Otherwise never had a chair complain about the rain.

But I don’t do shitty weather anymore so no longer an issue.