• Posted by deann-r on November 25, 2019 at 7:00 am

Considering just last week I posted about considering a pet for Christmas, this is a difficult post for me. Yesterday I lost my service dog, Roy. His death was sudden and unexpected. He collapsed shortly after I let him outside and he died instantly. If you follow my vlog you’ll know he’s made several appearances. Plus he just got a clean bill of health just last month, so this is quite a shock. Not only was he a fantastic service dog, he was a companion and best friend.

losmi replied 4 years, 4 months ago 10 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • dennis-turner

November 25, 2019 at 8:03 am

So so sorry to hear of your loss. I remember when you did the weather with Roy vs. Alexa.

It is always hard to lose a friend.

• michael-morale

November 25, 2019 at 2:04 pm

While growing up, my parents always taught me that the animals that we had as pets were more than just pets, they were part of the family. They taught us the value that these animals bring, and by doing so, my brother and I never looked at them as animals, we thought of them as family members. While I’ve lost numerous pets in my life, I’ve never had one suddenly passed away like DeAnn did.

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss, and just know that you and your family are in my prayers. Nothing that I can say can ease the pain, but just know that I’m here if you ever want to talk.

• alyssa-silva

November 25, 2019 at 2:08 pm

DeAnn. I am so so sorry for your loss. Losing a service dog is incredibly heartbreaking, and my heart goes out to you. If you need a friend to talk to, I’m here.

• kevin-schaefer

November 25, 2019 at 2:58 pm

So sorry for your loss DeAnn. I always enjoyed Roy’s appearances in your videos, and my heart goes out to you.

• survivinglife

November 25, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Awe that’s horrible DeAnn! Do you know why he died?
    When I was little, I begged my dad for a pet tiger. He said no, of course. But I guess he told his mom (who lives hours and hours away) about it, cuz she sent one of her newborn puppies up to us. She had named him Tiger cuz he kinda looked like a tiger. Tiger became my best friend. He wasn’t a service dog but he was VERY strong and protective and SMART. But when I was around 8, my dad left me and my 2 brothers and he took our dogs with him. Our half sister (his daughter) and her wife took us in and eventually adopted us. That was the best day of my life, but I missed Tiger dearly. Then a couple years ago, April (my mom who used to be my half sister) said she had bad news: Mammaw had breast cancer, and Tiger died. He died suddenly too. No one knew he had heart worms. It still hurts. Micheael is right in that there really isn’t anything we can say to make the pain go away, but I’m reading this book called Revealing Heaven in which the author (who claims to have been taken to Heaven many times and ordered by God to tell us all about Heaven) says that when we die, we will be greeted by everyone we loved – including our pets. That makes me feel better a bit…
    May God comfort you in your pain. Hugs!

• kelly-miller

November 25, 2019 at 8:02 pm

I was so very sorry to read your post tonight, DeAnn. I’ve had pets for as much of my life as I can remember, and they have always been a very special part of our family..My husband & I have been thru a couple of dogs in our 22 year marriage, and each death has been just as heart-wrenching as the others. I’ve never had a service dog, but I can imagine that the bond between you is so much stronger than just the avg. human/canine relationship. He was especially tuned in to you and your needs, and he did things for you because it made him happy to help you. I’m sure he was not just your muscle but also your comforter & confidant. That kind of friendship is very difficult to replace and even harder to get past. Take your time to mourn his passing and allow the memories he gave you to be indelibly stamped on your heart!

• halsey-blocher

November 25, 2019 at 8:53 pm

I’m so sorry DeAnn! I know Roy was very special to you. Losing a beloved pet is always so hard.

• deann-r

November 26, 2019 at 11:35 am

Thank you all for the warm thoughts and support. I’m thankful for the 8 1/2 years he was a faithful service dog for me and the best companion a girl could ask for.   We plan on laughing about all his silly quirks around the Thanksgiving table.

After discussing it with the vet, there isn’t anything more he can do to find out the cause unless we bring him down to the cities for an autopsy. We decided against that.  The vet said most likely it was heart related due to the sudden nature of what happened.  We buried him next to my first service dog Iken. We plan on having his name carved in a fieldstone as we did with Iken.

• mike-huddleston

November 26, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Very sorry to hear of your loss, DeAnn.  RIP Roy.

• losmi

November 27, 2019 at 3:22 am

DeAnn I am so sorry for what happened, and the way it happened.

I don’t have kids, and don’t plan on having them, but I had experienced loss of animals that I had a privilege to share life with and it is very painful.

I do believe in reincarnation and since Roy spent his life in more meaningful way then most humans I really hope he will get exquisite next birth.

All the best to you