SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Wheelchair Settings

• Wheelchair Settings

Posted by deann-r on November 3, 2021 at 8:54 am

Can someone walk me through how to turn off the sleep timer on my Permobile F3? I’m not sure I’m in the right spot. In settings I go to programming, then in Profiled it says sleep on the side and Pr1 Pr2 and Pr8 along the top. Under each of those it says 30. Do I change them to 0? How do you get them to change?

Are there any secret, or not so secret, settings you find beneficial? This is my first chair where the joystick has a display. Even though I wish it was less obtrusive I also want to make the most of it within the 4 years I’m left stuck with it.

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • blake-watson

November 3, 2021 at 9:21 am

The folks who supplied the chair may be able to change that with a programmer. I want to say you can’t do it yourself, which sucks.

• kelly-miller

November 3, 2021 at 10:47 am

I just got a new Quantum Edge 3 with iLevel after having a Permobil for 5 yrs. I had to get the settings changed with a programmer. That isn’t something you get routinely. My wheelchair guy had to make those kind of changes for me. I’m sure there’s a way to get a programmer, but you’d have to go outside of the standard Permobil products. That’s pretty much true with all the main companies.

• dennis-turner

November 3, 2021 at 11:44 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You are in the right spot, you can change time out by using the right hand flip switch ( turtle / rabbit) just above the joystick.  I am not certain that there is any real gain from doing this as the battery seems to last pretty well. I am also unsure of which programs each setting effects so, as has been said, talk to your provider.</p>

• lupa-f

November 3, 2021 at 12:36 pm

I looked through the manual and you have to do it with the programmer which means you need a dongle or keycode. The manual says which you need is set by the factory, but I’m guessing it’s the dongle.

This is one of those things hopefully “right to repair” laws will fix. There’s no reason we should be locked out of settings like this. There are a lot of settings you can only access in the programmer. (Here’s the manual: https://www.permobil.com/us/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/R-net-Electronics-Technical-Manual-v6.pdf)

• deann-r

November 3, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Thanks everyone! I was able to turn off the sleep timer. The rabbit/turtle toggle was the trick. It wasn’t the battery I was concerned about, I was afraid it would go to sleep when I had it tilted back. Then I wouldn’t be able to reach the power switch. Next I’ll have to figure out how to change the clock with the upcoming time change.

• alyssa-silva

November 4, 2021 at 9:05 am

A little off-topic, but I didn’t realize you and I have the same chair. How do you feel about it? To be completely honest, I don’t love it.  I have had front-wheel drive for about two decades too, but this chair is different for some reason I can’t pinpoint.

• deann-r

November 4, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Alyssa, tbh I’m not thrilled with the chair. Even though it’s an expensive piece of equipment something seems almost chintzy about it. Hate how complicated simple adjustments are too. I’m a year in with this chair and it’s still not right.

• alyssa-silva

November 7, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Couldn’t agree more. I’m two years in this January and am still struggling to feel comfortable sitting in it but also driving it.

• dennis-turner

November 4, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Alyssa, I just got my replacement chair about a month ago, same model – permobil F3, no major changes, but it seems less stable. I can’t put my finger on why, but I am not real happy.

• alyssa-silva

November 7, 2021 at 1:43 pm

I know exactly what you mean. When I’m driving over bumpy terrain like grass, I don’t feel as secure in my chair like I used to. I miss my C500.