• X-Ray Frustrations

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 11, 2020 at 7:00 am

Yesterday, I had my annual urology checkup. The only part of this I dread quite a bit is the x-ray, mostly because it means I have to transfer out of my chair. I touched on this in my last column, but the transfer process is tough for me these days. It requires whoever’s transferring me to remove my JACO arm and tray, and then reattach both devices afterward. I also worry about my catheter disconnecting. Thus, it’s easier for me to stay in my chair for the majority of the day.

This appointment was especially stressful because the x-ray machine in the urology clinic was broken when I arrived. I ended up having to go to a different clinic on the other side of the hospital to get the x-ray and then come back afterward to see my urologist. And while I don’t love x-rays to begin with, I like the team at the urology clinic. They know my needs, and they’re really efficient when it comes to transferring me.

Since I had to go to a different clinic this time, I had to work with a different team that didn’t know my needs. Thankfully, my Dad was with me, and we both agreed that it would save time and energy for him to lift me to the x-ray table. Still, the whole process was more frustrating than usual. Also, my catheter did disconnect. Ironic, I had pee issues at a urology appointment!

Oy, that’s an SMA day for you. I don’t have any particular questions, but I thought you’d all get a kick out of this story. Can anyone here relate to x-ray frustrations?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

November 11, 2020 at 11:58 am

I stay in my chair if at all possible even for x-rays. Another reason I wish I would have requested recline on my new chair. I’ve done x-rays at the very edge of my seat and even hanging over the side. It’s not always possible though. Probably it bothers us more than anybody helping us, but I totally get it. I’ll leave the wisecracks about pee to the others. I’m sure they can come up with some good ones.

• kevin-schaefer

November 11, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I also stay in my chair whenever possible, but for some, I have to transfer. And pee jokes are welcome here lol.

• lupa-f

November 11, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Kevin, you probably use a different catheter system than I do, but I started putting a little medical tape around the tube connections and that stopped those bits from coming apart when I move around too much.

• kevin-schaefer

November 12, 2020 at 11:40 am

Thanks, Lupa! I’ll definitely look into something like this.

• jim-schneider

November 13, 2020 at 11:21 am

Unfortunately the last few years I have had cause to be transferred many times.  When the hospital calls to confirm an appointment we always inform them we will need a Hoyer lift to transfer.  I bring my own sling along because it works better than theirs.  I refuse to allow transfers by lifting me, been hurt before and never again.  More and more I have seen ceiling mounted lifts in radiology departments including CAT Scan and MRI rooms.  My wife does such a fantastic job using the lifts most times the hospital personnel get out of the way and let her do it!

• kevin-schaefer

November 16, 2020 at 9:52 am

Jim, I hear ya! With my Spinraza injections and weekly aquatic therapy sessions, the people there are great at transferring me. But it’s always nerve-wracking when it’s someone new. In this instance, I’m glad my Dad was with me.